Saturday, November 01, 2014

The Move - part 4

When I say "just like that," I mean, wow, I would put my vehicle up on the car hauler and I would for the first time, drive a 26 foot U-Haul truck pulling a car down the road through Anniston and to the house in Oxford, at dusk.  Well, I was going to have to drive it eventually, and well, this was our eventually.  It turned out to be a good exercise in getting used to the feel of the truck and how it drove pulling just the extra weight of the hauler and the vehicle.  We arrived and parked the trucks at our Oakhurst house, knowing that the time had really come, no turning back now.  We learned to attach the haulers to the trucks and drive the cars up onto the platform, strap it down, and unhook it all so that the trucks could be loaded on Thursday.

I should mention that our son, Will, offered to fly in and drive the second truck for me, but it just seemed to me to be too much to ask, at that point in the plan.  I mean, really, how hard could it be to drive a truck pulling a hauler and car across the country.  

Our Unity crew arrived ready to load the trucks and they systematically loaded, turned and stacked our furniture, cardboard boxes, mattresses and every imaginable piece of property that we had accumulated into those two trucks.  The first truck was packed tight and high.  The second truck had the challenge of carrying more of the misfit sized, lawn equipment, dog house, tiller, tools, and last minute additions to the load, plants. I don't really know how they did it, but they did, and I'm glad it was them doing it.  

We grabbed a last meal out with our neighbors, Edith and DC.  We talked of good memories and how we'd miss having each other next door.  We'd grown very close, enjoying Thanksgiving meals together for several years, and Will's holiday pilgrimages home at the holiday seasons, one part of our Alabama family.  Edith also fixed us a hot breakfast the next morning to help send us out with full bellies. We can never say thank you enough.  Always good memories.


No comments: