Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Mary & Martha - revisited

Luke 10:38-42 38.
As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him.
39 She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet listening to what he said.
40. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, "Lord, don't you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!"
41. "Martha, Martha," the Lord answered, "you are worried and upset about many things,
42. but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it willnot be taken away from her."

I think we are prone to identify with what I'll call 'layer one' of this account. We see ourselves as either the Mary at Jesus feet or the Perfectionist Martha, busy about the house. Perhaps it is because of our awareness of the 'Martha Stewart' factor in our 'today' world. I personally enjoy learning from Martha Stewart and consider her a genuine teacher so I don't want to 'dish' her; just use to illustrate.

Consider with me 'layer two'. Jesus makes a promise here that what Mary seeks, won't be taken away from her, by Him. Roll that thought around in your mind for a while and tell me where the Spirit leads you with it.

Consider with me 'layer three'. Identify your other 'Martha' opportunities. You may not have identified with the 'homemaking' Martha; but how about the 'work-a-holic' Martha? The 'volunteer-a-holic' Martha? Name your 'Martha'.

Wouldn't anything that keeps us from seeking GOD FIRST, be a 'Martha?' Just some things to consider, ponder, pray and chat about.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for that thought. I admit to usually seeing this at level one. I have not noticed the promise of level two.

It is true that my life is often busy with things that are not important.