Friday, February 29, 2008

Lightning Show

We had the most spectacular lightning show on Tuesday morning at 4 am. I have never seen anything like it. The whole house was lit up and there was no place to run from it, even though I was scurrying around trying to unplug every media, computer and appliance in the house, as power was coming and going and eventually went.

It was the sound of wind and hail though that sent us to the closet wondering if we would have a house standing when we came out. The weather radio indicated a cell located 6 miles north of the Talladega airport. Actually I don't know where the Talladega airport is but figure we must have been a few miles north of that and so we were spared the worst of the weather damage. The roof is still intact and the greenhouse weathered the storm well, all pieces still in place.

I scoured about the area to locate some dry ice since I had actually gone to the grocery store the night before and those of you who know me, know what that means, food in the frig. I ended up making a trip to Gadsden and did indeed buy dry ice. It was a real educational experience and kept our frig and freezer from thawing out during the 15 hour power free zone. It wasn't like I could do anything else and it turned into a nice dry, a burger at Sonic, and my first trip to drive into downtown Gadsden and see the main row there.

Lots to be thankful for. I only wished that I had pictures of that lightning storm. I really thought we might just explode on the spot but looks like we didn't, so just counting all those blessings. God is good!

No comments: